IPython is a command shell for interactive computing in multiple programming languages, originally developed for the Python programming language, that offers introspection, rich media, shell syntax, tab completion, and history. IPython provides the following features:
- Interactive shells (terminal and Qt-based).
- A browser-based notebook with support for code, text, mathematical expressions, inline plots and other media.
- Support for interactive data visualization and use of GUI toolkits.
- Flexible, embeddable interpreters to load into one’s own projects.
- Tools for parallel computing.
RStudio is a free and open source integrated development environment (IDE) for R, a programming language for statistical computing and graphics. RStudio was founded byJJ Allaire, creator of the programming language ColdFusion.
RStudio is available in two editions: RStudio Desktop, where the program is run locally as a regular desktop application; and RStudio Server, which allows accessing RStudio using a web browser while it is running on a remote Linux server. Prepackaged distributions of RStudio Desktop are available for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
RStudio is available in open source and commercial editions and runs on the desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) or in a browser connected to RStudio Server or RStudio Server Pro (Debian/Ubuntu, RedHat/CentOS, and SUSE Linux).